New Year’s Eve Black Eyed Peas
Here’s what you’ll need:
1/2 cup dried black eyed peas
1 Tbsp butter or other cooking oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 small onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 green pepper, chopped
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
Here’s what you’ll do:
- Place beans in a large bowl and cover with water. Make sure there are about 2 inches of water over the beans because they will plump up! Leave soaking for 6-8 hours.
- After the beans have soaked, strain and rinse.
- Heat butter or oil in a pot over medium heat. Add chopped onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until the onion is translucent.
- Place beans in pot with the onion and garlic. Add 1 cup water, salt, paprika, oregano and thyme. Cover pot and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat and let simmer for one hour, stirring once every 15 minutes.
- In the last 15 minutes of cooking, stir in green pepper and tomatoes (you can add them earlier, but I wanted the pepper to be al dente)
Makes 6 side dish servings.
Serve with collard greens and cornbread for luck in the New Year.