Apple Pecan Chicken Salad
Here’s what you’ll need
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp apple cider or red wine vinegar
1 tsp whole grain mustard
1 tsp honey
pinch of dried thyme
1 chicken breast
1/4 medium red onion
2 stalks celery
1/2 apple (I like fujis)
handful of pecans
Here’s what you’ll do
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine dressing ingredients. Whisk thoroughly to emulsify.
- Place chicken in a baking pan. Cover with about half of the dressing mixture (be sure to get both sides).
- Bake for 25 minutes, turning once halfway through, or until chicken is cooked through. Allow to cool.
- While chicken is cooling, finely dice onion, celery, and apple. (It’s okay if you let your food processor do the work for you. Just be sure to stop before you have a raw onion puree, okay?) Set aside.
- Finely dice chicken (or, again, chop it in the food processor).
- Combine chicken, diced veggies and apple, and pecans. Coat with the remaining dressing. You’ll probably need more to make the salad come together – I used another tablespoon or two of olive oil, but you could also use mayonnaise or plain yogurt if you prefer.
Makes 2 servings.
I like to roll mine up on a brown rice tortilla (Trader Joe’s or Food for Life brand) with lots of fresh greens.